Thursday, May 9, 2013

Member Spotlight: Fish Family


Hi everyone... we are the Fish Family!

Bill was born in Seoul, Korea (you'd never guess that he's half Korean -- he looks Italian!). He's owned an internet business (ink cartridges and toners) for the past 13 years. He enjoys working from home in his shorts and T-shirts and loves taking his daily afternoon naps. What a life! He played basketball for Cal State Fullerton where he received his B.A. in Business Administration. With the wear and tear on his knees from playing basketball, he's now moved onto tennis, which still bothers his knees but not as bad as basketball. He plays 3 to 4 times a week at Los Cab in Fountain Valley.

I was born in Provo, Utah --- almost at a BYU basketball game while my parents were on vacation (my mom was one of those crazy BYU fans). But I grew up in Alta Loma (about an hour northeast of HB). I'm a professor of Health Education at Cal Poly Pomona. I earned my B.S. and M.S. from BYU in Health Science and PhD in Health Education from Southern Illinois University, Carbondale. I taught for one year at Florida Atlantic University before getting my job at Cal Poly Pomona.

Bill and I were set up on a blind date. We got engaged 5 1/2 months later and got married 5 1/2 months after that. When we got married 7 years ago, I was living in Upland and was in an administrative position at Cal Poly/. So I had a regular "9 to 5 job." Bill lived in Huntington Beach. So Bill made the sacrifice and moved to "the 909" since he's able to work from home anywhere and I would have had to commute everyday.

I stepped down from the administrator position just before giving birth to my first son. So now I'm back to being a regular faculty member and can work from home most of the time. Because I put all my classes online, I go to campus only twice a week for office hours and faculty meetings and I work an equivalent of only 8 months out of the year. I love my job! And I love the flexibility that comes with both Bill and I working from home. So, after renting a beach house for a week-long family vacation (little did I know, Bill was attempting to convert me to HB), we sold our house in Upland and here we are.

We have two boys: Zack (5 years old) and Alex (20 months). Zack is in preppy-K at Perry Elementary and loves school. He's a sweet boy who loves to draw and ride his bike. Alex is a ball of energy and keeps us on our toes.

And that's us! Thanks for making us feel so welcome!
The Fish Family

No comments:

Post a Comment